Sunday, October 3, 2010

Week of October 4th

Thank you so much for taking the time to chat with me on Conference Day. I love being able to brag about your child as well as find ways to work together to make your child successful!

I mentioned the links that I have tagged on the side of my blog. I would like to highlight some links and what they provide:
  1. http://www.ixl.com/math/grade/second/ - This link provides a number of activities for the students to practice. The skills will increase in difficulty depending on how the child answers the questions. I have gone through the different categories and marked off the ones that your child could use additional practice on!
  • Counting and Number Patterns (A.1 - A.12)
  • Names of Numbers (C.1 - C.5)
  • Addition - one digit (E.1 - E.4)
  • Place Value (M.1 - M.6)
  • Money (P.1 - P.15)
  • Time (Q.1 - Q.16)
  • Data and Graphs (some exposure good practice)
  • Measurement (S.1 - S.2)
  • Properties (K.1 - K.3)
2.http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/thats_a_fact/english_4_6.html This is a great
site to practice math facts!
3. http://www.starfall.com This is a great site that has a lot of language arts activities and reading selections. This site also has activities geared towards younger siblings!
4. http://www.aaaknow.com/grade2/htm This has a lot of different math categories and if you click on one and scroll down it will have a "practice" area which is a game.
5. http://www.mathfactcafe.com You can make worksheets and/or print already made worksheets for practice.
6. http://www.wildmath.com Fun games to practice addition facts!
7. http://www.eduplace.com/kids/hme/k_5/grammar/ Grammar Blast - fun games that work on different grammar skills.

Last week in Science we continued our study of changes. We investigated what happened when they mixed two substances. They created a mixture using two solids - salt and gravel. After describing each solid, they mixed them together in a cup. They recognized that the small grains of salt dispersed in the spaces between the pieces of gravel. They then separated the components of their mixtures using a sieve. They did a really great job and I added pictures to the "Science" folder on the Shutterfly site.

In Language Arts this week we are focusing on the following:
  • Making predictions
  • Using prior knowledge
  • Long vowel /i/ ie, igh
  • Inflections -ed, -ing
  • Sentences
  • Nouns
In Math this week we are focusing on the following:
  • Frames-and-Arrows Routines
  • "What's My Rule?" Routines
  • Counting Strategies for Subtraction
  • Shortcuts for "Harder" Subtraction facts
**Please continue to work on addition facts!

I hope you enjoyed the videos of the Reader's Theatre performances as well as their Landmark Projects. I am so proud of the work they did. We will be doing more projects in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment