Happy Monday! What a chilly way to start off the week. I must admit, it was a nice change :). Today was a busy day for us. On top of lots of learning, we had a special treat this afternoon. As you know, the second graders planted a garden at the beginning of the year. A few weeks ago we made vegetable soup and today we sampled some more harvested good! We had fresh broccoli, green peppers, snap peas, cauliflower, fried green tomatoes, and kale chips. YUM!! I am so proud of the kids for trying new things. We love being able to watch the garden grow as well as being responsible for watering and weeding. If you haven't seen our garden before, have your kiddo take you by. It is pretty impressive!
We have been talking about different customs and traditions that go on around the world during the holiday/winter season. Last week we talked about Hanukkah as well as a Mexican legend about the poinsettia. This week we will be talking about Kwanzaa and Christmas with some other legends and traditions as well. We are having a fun time learning more about other cultures as well as how each of us celebrates different things.
I love hearing about the kids projects already in progress! Please remember that the projects are due Monday, December 13th. The kids will present Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings at 8:20. I have attached the schedule below. I only heard from 2 parents in regards to certain days working better than others. Thank you for getting those requests to me as I had requested.
Monday, December 13th at 8:30 (after Town Hall meeting)
Hannah
Solé
Luke
Kelly
Connor
Tuesday, December 14th at 8:20
Meadow
Jonah
Maggie
Dorothy
Kirsten
Noah
Wednesday, December 15th at 8:20
Zachary
Jett
Nico
Rachael
Makenna
Hailey
Please take time to go over the rubrics as to what is expected on this project. Please also have your child practice presenting so that they are not dependent on information that is written down. I am looking at their presentations skills as well as their knowledge of what they have researched.
TOWN HALL - Monday, December 13th at 8:15. We will be presenting at Town Hall. Please join us!
Overview of the Week:
Language Arts: plural possessive nouns, fiction vs. nonfiction, spelling words with sounds /s/c; /j/g, dge
Math: Parallel Line Segments, Exploring polygons, arrays, and attributes, quadrangles
Science: Separating Mixtures of Color
Writing: Writing for Readers - this week we are taking a "Writing Challenge". Each day your child will try to write a new small moment story across three pages while meeting some "goals" that the class set. So far I am very impressed with what I am seeing! What great writers we are :).
No comments:
Post a Comment