Monday, January 9, 2012

Week of January 9th

Happy Monday! I am so sorry I missed the 2nd Grade Social. I was under the weather and am still rallying. I guess all the germs are finally catching up to me. I trust you had a wonderful time!

Today, we had a special treat. Marianne Berkes, a very talented author, came to speak to the children. She share with them a few of her books and explained some of the processes needed to complete these books. The kids had a blast looking for hidden animals and listening to the stories. Many people have already ordered some of her books (order form came home awhile ago). If you are still interested in ordering a book, please let me or Mrs. Smay know and we can get an order form to you.

This week we started Student of the Week again (round 2). The students were excited to start this again. We decided as a class to change a few things to make it different and interesting for the remainder of the year. Make sure to take a look at the new letter when your child brings it home.

The kids did a great job last week on their spelling tests! I am so proud of the hard work that they are putting into studying, learning, and applying not only these words, but the rules these words represent. Keep up the good work!

I have seen a HUGE improvement in students getting their homework logs signed and marking off how much they are reading each night. Remember 20 minutes of reading a night is an expectation and is part of their homework grade. I collect these each week and keep track of them. I still have not received Reading Logs from many students :(, this is also an expectation and part of their homework grade.

Here is what is going on this week:

Language/Arts:
  • Phonics: Short vowel /e/ea
  • Syllable pattern V/CV
  • Reading with intonation
  • Reading for comprehension/setting/following directions/reading ahead
  • Grammar: adjectives for senses (we have been working hard on pronouns and possessive nouns- so proud of the kiddos)
  • Mentor Text: Annie's Gifts
Math: Unit 4 Review and Assessment

Writing: We are beginning our revision unit

Science: Our science experiment last week was called Bubbles and Fizz: Observing a Chemical Reaction. The kids had a blast! I wish you could have seen their faces with the baking soda and vinegar mixed! This experiment reinforced what we have been studying about changes - that changes occur when solids and liquids are mixed and separated. This week's experiment: Gas in a Bag!

Social Studies: To begin our study of Australia. We talked about the big question: How does where we live effect how we live? We had a great discussion that we will continue to talk about this week!


Scholastic book orders will come out tomorrow. If you already have an account you can start shopping now!

Have a wonderful week.


No comments:

Post a Comment