Monday, January 4, 2010

Week of January 4th

Happy New Year! I trust you had a wonderful holiday break. I sure did! The wedding was a huge success and more than I could have ever dreamed of. I love the fact that I am going to spend the rest of my life with my best friend :)! Thank you so much for your love and support during such a busy and exciting time in my life.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone. I can only imagine how grown up the kids look. Three weeks away is a lot of time. We are jumping right back into the swing of things. We are going to be doing spelling words a little differently. Instead of spelling, challenge, and bonus words. The kids will be given 12 spelling words and between 6 and 8 high frequency words each week. I will still refer to the extra words as bonus words. We are on our way to third grade!


Here is what is going on this week!


Language Arts
Comprehension Focus
  • Fiction and Nonfiction
  • Monitoring Comprehension: Rereading
  • Pronouns
Spelling Words: brook, hoof, crooked, hook, foot, nook, footsteps, shook, good-bye, soot, goods, wood
Bonus Words: care, father, interesting, sweat, thumb, touch, McKenzie, January

High-Frequency Words: care, father, interesting, sweat, thumb, touch

Robust Vocabulary and Student-Friendly Explanations:
dappled - If something is dappled, it has spots, streaks, or patches of different colors or shades.
entranced - If you are entranced by something, it has delighted or amazed you.

trooped - If you trooped someplace, you moved along with a group of people.
circling -
If something is circling you, it is moving around you.
adorable -
If something is very cute, it is adorable.
assortment -
If you see a variety or mixture of things, you see an assortment.
habitat - If a plant or an animal lives in a particular place in nature, that is its habitat.
immense - If something is really big or huge, it is immense.

Math


* Review of ballpark estimates and addition of 2 numbers
* Addition of Three or More Numbers
* Comparison Number Stories
* Data

Current Events:

Monday: None
Tuesday: Antonio, Taylor, Luke G.
Wednesday: Lliam, Hayden, Ryan
Thursday: JW and Kathleen
Friday: Grace and Dylan

Parent Reader: Catherine Cobb
Library Volunteer: Ann Goldman - January 25th

** We will be in charge of doing something at Town Hall Meeting on January 25th. Please mark your calendars to join us!


No comments:

Post a Comment