Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week of October 31st

Friday was a blast! I am so glad the weather cooperated and we were able to have the Fall Festival and parade outside! I loved all of the costumes. I especially loved watching the kids faces fill with excitement as they entered the room and saw one another as well as the pride they felt as they walked in the parade. I just adore these children and am so blessed this year! Thank you as well (parents) for being so helpful and supportive. I love spending time with all of you guys.

November is here (tomorrow) and it is crunch time! Please keep practicing the poems with your kids. For poetry in the park, we are asking the kids to dress up like wacky and zany "insects". They can wear funky tights, shirts, antennae, spikey hair, etc. Don't feel like you have to go out and buy anything, just be creative. It is going to be so cute and so fun!

Please hold onto the letter that I sent home last Thursday (I will add it to a page up top) regarding the 2nd grade program. I can't wait. They are going to do such a great job, and they are so stinking cute!

In science last week we did yet another exciting experiment. We focused on mixing and separating solids and liquids. This experiment took us two days! The students built on previous experiences by mixing three solids (gravel, toilet tissue, and kosher salt) with water. Each of the solid-and-liquid mixtures varied in the degree to which the substances mixed. The gravel settled to the bottom and the toilet tissue changed in texture and appearance as its fibers broke apart. Unlike the gravel and tissue, the salt mixed so well with the water that the individual components of the mixture were difficult to see. After mixing the three different solids with water and observing the changes that resulted in each mixture, the students separated the mixtures with a sieve and filter. Because the components of the mixtures did not change chemically when mixed, they could be separated by physical means, such as filtering, sifting, and evaporating. The tissue and gravel separated quite easily with the filter and sieve. The salt however did not separate from the water using the filter and sieve. The separate the salt from the water, we set the saltwater mixture into a
petri dish to watch what happens when evaporation occurs.

In math, we will be finishing Unit 2 this week and having our assessment next week. Please keep working on telling time at home. I have seen improvement! I will be assessing the kiddos on their addition and subtraction facts. Please keep working on these as well.

We are continuing to work hard on all the things Good Readers do! We are also publishing some Cinquain and/or Haiku poems this week that we will display for Poetry in the Park.

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment